Still Singing Inside Question and Answers

1. Read Nimi's diary entry and answer the following questions.
Write in full sentences.

a) What caused the fire in Nimi's house?
Answer:- The fire in Nimi's house was caused by a short circuit.

b) Which poem helped Nimi hold on to hope?
Answer:- The poem “Hope is the Thing with Feathers” by Emily Dickinson helped Nimi hold on to hope.

c) Why do the nights feel the hardest for Nimi?
Answer:- The nights feel the hardest for Nimi because when she closes her eyes, she remembers the fire and everything she lost.

d) “Maybe that's where I can begin.”
What does this tell you about Nimi's thoughts or feelings?
Answer:- This tells us that Nimi is beginning to feel hopeful. She realises that she still has her family, memories, knowledge, and ideas, and she can use these things to begin her life again.

e) Have you ever been in a situation where you felt everything was lost? What helped you feel better or hopeful again?
Answer:- Yes, I have felt hopeless during difficult times. The support of my family and friends helped me feel better and gave me hope to face the situation with courage.

f) What do you think will happen when Nimi and her mother visit the bank and the school?
Answer:- I think Nimi and her mother will complete the necessary paperwork and begin arranging important documents and school-related matters after the fire.

2. Nimi used powerful words to describe her feelings.
Discuss in groups and learn what they mean. Then explore more words like them.
Answer:-
Word – Meaning – Add your word

Hollow – Empty inside, like nothing is there – Lonely

Devastated – Extremely sad and shocked – Heartbroken

Disoriented – Confused about what's happening – Confused


3. Nimi asks an important question: “How do you begin again when it feels like there's nothing left?”
Sit in groups of 3 or 4. Talk about what you would do if you face a difficult situation in life.
Answer:- If I face a difficult situation in life, I will try to remain calm and think about possible solutions. I will seek help from my family, teachers, and friends. Their support and encouragement can give me courage. I will also remember that difficult times do not last forever and try to begin again with hope and determination.


4. You have come across that some words have the same spelling and pronunciation, but they have different meanings. Here are a few such words. Let's look at them:
Answer:-
1. Bat
- Meaning 1: A piece of equipment used to hit a ball.
- Meaning 2: A flying mammal that is active at night.

2. Bank
- Meaning 1: A place where money is kept and managed.
- Meaning 2: The side of a river.

3. Bark
- Meaning 1: The outer covering of a tree.
- Meaning 2: The sound made by a dog.

4. Ring
- Meaning 1: A circular piece of jewellery.
- Meaning 2: A sound made by a bell or telephone.

5. Watch
- Meaning 1: A small clock worn on the wrist.
- Meaning 2: To look at or observe something carefully.

5. b) Complete these sentences.
Write one helpful idea for each situation.
a)If there is a fire at school, you should remain calm and follow the teacher's instructions.

b) If there is smoke in the room, you shouldn't panic or breathe in the smoke.

c) To help my friends during a fire, I should guide them calmly towards a safe place.

d) To keep calm, I should take deep breaths and think carefully before acting.

5. c) What would you suggest in each of the following situations? Make a sentence using should and another using shouldn't.

i) I always feel tired these days. What do you think I should do?

You should get enough sleep and eat healthy food.
You shouldn't stay awake late at night.

ii) I have a terrible toothache. What should I do?
You should visit a dentist as soon as possible.

You shouldn't ignore the toothache or eat too many sweets.

iii) Nimi is nervous about going to school alone. What's your advice?
She should talk to her mother or a trusted adult and ask for support.
She shouldn't hide her feelings or face her fear alone.

5. d) Let's think of some other times when we need advice - like before exams, during a misunderstanding with a friend, or when we're feeling nervous.

Choose any one situation from above and write 2-3 sentences to give advice to someone using should and shouldn't.
Answer:- Before an examination, you should prepare a proper study plan and revise your lessons regularly. You should take enough rest and remain confident. You shouldn't stay awake all night or panic before the examination.

7. Rewrite the sentences with correct pronouns (emphatic, interrogative, or distributive) shown in brackets. Use Nimi's diary if needed.

a) My mother cried. (who, what, when, where)
Who cried when the fire started?

b) Nimi lost her books and playthings in the fire. (who, what, where, when)
 What did Nimi lose in the fire?

c) Nimi went to the bank and the school. (who, where)
Where did Nimi go after the fire?

d) She saw the house catching fire. (herself, himself, myself, ourselves)
She herself saw the house catching fire.

e) I composed the poem. (myself, himself, herself)
I myself composed the poem.

f) He cleaned the room. (himself, myself, herself)
He himself cleaned the room.

g) My belongings and my brother's belongings were not saved. (neither... nor, each)
Neither my belongings nor my brother's belongings could be saved.

h) The firefighters wrapped the survivors in blankets. (each, every)
Each survivor was wrapped in a blanket.

i) The rooms were in flames. (each, neither, every)
 Every room was in flames.

j) All family members shared their stories. (each, either, neither)
Each family member shared a story.

10. a) Answer the following questions.

i) What does the poet compare 'hope' to in the poem?
Answer:- The poet compares hope to a small bird with feathers that sings continuously.

ii) Where does the poet say the bird of hope lives?
Answer:- The poet says that the bird of hope lives in the soul.

iii) In what kind of situation does the poet say 'hope' is present?
Answer:- The poet says that hope is present even during difficult, stormy, and painful situations.

iv) How does the poet describe the power of 'hope' in storms and in hard times?
Answer:- The poet describes hope as a strong and comforting force that continues to sing even during the worst storms and hardest times.

v) Find out the line in the poem that shows 'hope' is strength?
Answer:- The line “That kept so many warm” shows that hope gives strength and comfort to people.

vi) Has the poet ever lost hope according to the poem?
Answer:- No, the poet has not lost hope. She says that she has heard it even in the coldest places and on the strangest seas, showing that hope remains present in difficult times.

10. b) Let's build our word power.
i) What does "hope" mean?
Answer:- Hope means a feeling of expecting or believing that something good may happen in the future.

ii) A word that means the same as "hope" (a synonym):
Answer:- Expectation

iii) A word that means the opposite of "hope" (an antonym):
Answer:- Despair

11. Nimi finds comfort in the poem. Think about this:
What do you think "hope" is being compared to?
Answer:- Hope is compared to a small bird with feathers that lives in the soul and keeps singing.

Why do you think the poet talks about a bird when talking about hope?
Answer:- The poet talks about a bird because a bird represents freedom, life, and the ability to keep going even during difficult times.

What does hope feel like for you? Can you give an example?
Answer:- Hope feels like a small light that gives me courage during difficult times. For example, when I face a difficult problem, I believe that things will become better with effort.

Hope is not the same for everyone. What is it like for you?
Answer:- For me, hope is the belief that difficult situations can improve and that I can find a way forward.

Complete this sentence in your own way.
“ Hope is a light that guides us through difficult times.

Add one more example to the list above and share it with your partner.
Answer:- Hope is a sunrise after a long and dark night.

12. c) Let's get creative with subjects and verbs! You can write beautiful correct sentences. Look at these subjects.
My friend
The birds
Nimi and I
Now, choose any verb you like. Think of something unexpected, silly, or clever that the subject might do.
Answer:-

My friend built a small robot from old boxes.

The birds sang a cheerful song outside my window.

Nimi and I planted flowers in the school garden.

13. Work in pairs.
Write a dialogue that can be used to comfort someone.
Turn Nimi's diary into a dialogue with her mother or brother. Show how they comfort each other and plan ahead.
Answer:-
Nimi: Mum, I feel so sad. We have lost our home and almost everything we had.

Mother: I know, Nimi. It is very painful, but we still have each other.

Nimi: I don't know how we will begin again.

Mother: We will take one step at a time. Tomorrow, we will go to the bank and school and complete the necessary paperwork.

Nimi: I am still afraid, Mum.

Mother: It is natural to feel afraid. But remember, we have our family, our memories, and hope.

Nimi: You're right, Mum. I will try to be strong.

Mother: That is all we need to do for now. We will get through this together.

14. Listen to your teacher read out a diary entry. Predict what happens next and prepare a response.
Dear Diary, yesterday was the worst day of my life. The storm destroyed our neighbourhood playground where I've spent every evening since I was five. All the swings are broken, the slide is crushed, and our treehouse is completely gone...”

What might happen next? How would you respond to comfort this person?
Answer:- The children may come together with their parents and teachers to clean the playground and repair the damaged equipment. I would comfort the person by saying that it is natural to feel sad, but the playground can be rebuilt with everyone's help.

15. Now, read Nimi's diary entry again. What do you think will happen next in her life?

Use your imagination and write 3-5 sentences to continue her story.
Answer:- I think Nimi will slowly adjust to her new situation. She and her mother will complete the necessary paperwork at the bank and school. Her teachers and friends may support her and help her return to school. Maybe she will begin writing and studying again and find happiness in small things. She will gradually become stronger and more hopeful.


17. b) Now, read the lines from Nimi's Diary. Underline the "be" verbs.

i) It is 3 in the morning, and everything feels so quiet.
Answer:- is — Present tense

ii) After the fire was out, the firefighters left.
Answer:- was — Past tense

iii) Maybe tomorrow will be a little easier.
Answer:- will be — Future tense

iv) It is still there somewhere inside me, soft like a bird, still singing.
Answer:- is — Present tense

What do you notice about how they are used? Which words show the past, present, or future?
Answer:- The forms of “be” change according to the time of the action. “is” shows the present, “was” shows the past, and “will be” shows the future.

18. Write 6 sentences about Nimi's situation using different forms of 'be'- 2 sentences in past, 2 sentences in present, and 2 sentences in future.
Answer:-
Past: 
1. Nimi was deeply upset after the fire.
2. Her home was badly damaged by the flames.

Present:
3. Nimi is staying with her aunt.
4. Her family is trying to rebuild their lives.

Future
5. Nimi will be stronger after overcoming this difficult time.
6.Her life will be better with the support of her family and friends.

21. Complete these sentences with the correct form of 'be.'

a) Nimi was upset after the fire.

b) Her memories are still with her.

c) The family is staying with relatives now.

d) Tomorrow will be a new beginning.

e) Hope is like a bird inside her.

24. Silent Letter Hunt: Find and list 3 words with silent letters from the diary.
Answer:-

1. Thought — gh is silent.
2. Could — l is silent.
3. Night — gh is silent.

27. a) Let's create and solve riddles.
Create your own riddles about words or concepts from the texts we've read. Exchange with a partner and try to solve each other's riddles.
Answer:-
Riddle 1: I remain in your heart even when difficult times come. I give you courage to continue. What am I?
Answer:- Hope

Riddle 2: I am something you remember from the past. I can make you happy or sad. What am I?
Answer:- Memory

Riddle 3: I am the feeling you have when you lose something very important. What am I?
Answer:- Sadness

27. b) Try to solve these too:
i) I am something that's "perched in the soul." I sing even during storms. What am I?
Answer:- Hope

ii) I am what remained after the flames were gone. I have black walls and broken things. What am I?
Answer:- Nimi's burnt house

iii) I am the feeling that Nimi felt - not just sad, but empty inside. What feeling am I?
Answer:- Hollowness

28. Nimi has written a diary entry after something very difficult happened in her life.
Write the words here:
i)Hopeful
ii) Thoughtful
iii)Strong
iv)Caring

29. Imagine you are a classmate of Nimi who has heard about the fire. Write a letter to Nimi expressing your support and offering help.
Answer:-

Dear Nimi,
I was very sorry to hear about the fire at your home. I can understand how difficult and painful it must be to lose your home and belongings. Please do not lose hope, because your family, friends, and teachers are there to support you.
           I can help you by sharing my class notes and books with you and helping you catch up with your lessons. I would also be happy to spend time with you whenever you feel lonely.
          How are you feeling now? Are you feeling better after staying with your aunt? I hope you and your family are safe and doing well.

With warm wishes,
Your friend

30. a) Let's work in groups of three or four.
b) Think and discuss
Which parts of this message show care and kindness?
Answer:- The message shows care and kindness by recognising Nimi's pain, appreciating her courage, encouraging her to stay hopeful, and reminding her that things will gradually become better.

What words or phrases help Nimi feel understood?
Answer:- Words such as “We know it must be tough,” “quiet courage,” and “little by little, things will get better” help Nimi feel understood and supported.

What small things can give her hope or courage?
Answer:- Support from family and friends, returning to school, sharing memories, receiving help with her studies, and finding happiness in small things can give Nimi hope and courage.

c) Write a group message to Nimi.
Answer:-
Dear Nimi,
We are sorry that you had to go through such a difficult experience. We understand that losing your home and belongings must have been very painful. But remember that you still have your family, friends, memories, and hope.
        Take one step at a time and do not be afraid to ask for help. We can help you with your schoolwork, notes, and anything else you may need.
          Stay strong and keep believing that better days are ahead.

With care and warm wishes,
Team Care

31. a) Let's have fun correcting auto-corrected messages.
Try one on your own.

Wrong sentence: I will sea you at school tomorrow.
What it should be: I will see you at school tomorrow.

31. b) Reflect a little and discuss with your partner and teacher:
Why is it important to choose the right words when you're writing a diary, a message, or a story?
Answer:- It is important to choose the right words because they help us express our thoughts and feelings clearly and prevent misunderstandings.

How would you feel if someone misunderstood your message because of a mistake?
Answer:- I would feel worried and upset because the other person might understand my message differently from what I intended.

31. c) Let's read a diary entry of Rohan:
Now, summarise the diary entry in about 25-30 words and write it in your notebook.
Answer:- Rohan won first prize in the English Olympiad. He felt nervous but happy on stage. His mother, friends, and aunt encouraged him, making him feel confident about his future.


Post a Comment

0 Comments